Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Love is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time by Rob Sheffield

Love is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time by Rob Sheffield

In Love is a Mix Tape, Rob Sheffield has crafted a book that is at once sad, beautiful and romantic.

I don't suppose I can know that Rob Sheffield and Renée Crist had the kind of love that everyone dreams about, but they certainly had the kind of love I dream about.  If one wonders whether it would be worse to lose a love like Sheffield had after too few too short years than to never have had it, the sheer beauty of Sheffield's tribute to Crist puts lie to the notion.  A love capable of inspiring a book like this must be worth the pain of loss.

I reveal nothing when I reveal that Renée Crist died young.  That's spelled out from the beginning, lending the entire affair an air of tragedy, adding a touch of bitter to every taste of the sweet.  Throughout I was reminded of the poetry of the Romantic movement.

Renée Crist canst not leave her song, nor ever can her trees be bare;
Forever wilt Rob Sheffield love, and she be fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment